Finally I got to read a book recommended to me years ago by an illustration teacher. Bird By Bird, by Anne Lamott, had nugget after nugget of words on writing, and the creative process, in general. Some highlights:
– Nobody is reading your first drafts, so go crazy.
– On perfectionism…. It’s ok to make a mess. In fact, messes are an artist’s true friend. It means that life is being lived.
– Let your characters be themselves, and reveal their importance to you. Dont assume you know more about them than they do.
– “The Gulf Stream will flow thru a straw provided the straw is aligned to the Gulf Stream, and not at cross purposes with it.”
– Dont try to stop jealousy, but dont let it fuel self loathing.
– Find liberation in opening that door that everyone is dedicated to keeping shut.